Monday, October 1, 2007

Peace Corps Couple Moves into Former Sugar Plantation Mansion

Dirk “McGirk” and Hailey Jameson from Southern Texas left the home of their host family, the Areljetas, Wednesday, October 4 for their new dwelling. “It was really great living with the Areljetas,” said Dirk. “I mean the kids were so much fun, and they were always helping us out. Like the time that spider fell into Hailey’s mouth while she was sleeping. Remember, honey? Yeah you do. I guess we just felt like we needed a little more room.”

The Jameson’s new house, or more accurately, estate, is located just 8km east of their site in Ifagau, Northern Luzon. Asked about her new place of residence, Hailey was a bit defensive, “I mean yeah its got 3 swimming pools, but its friggin hot here. I mean what am I supposed to do, this place is cheap as balls. 18,000 Pesos, that’s like $300 or somthin’. Its not like we’re fresh outta school here, I was an assistant manager at Express for Men and Dirky got unemployment for a while. Off that alone we live like friggin royalty.”

The mansion was the main house for a sugarcane plantation of 650 acres. After a drop in the price of sugar in the early 1930’s due to the influx of Caribbean suppliers such as Cuba, the fields fell into disrepair. The house, however, cared for by the original land-owning “familia”, The Colegios, is still in good shape. The patriarch, “Lolo” Carlos Colegio could not be reached for comment as he was reportedly enjoying and cursing at a coca-cola bottle.

Asked if he was worried that Peace Corps would not approve of his new lodging, Dirk replied, “I’ve wanted to live in a former feudal estate since I was laid off from Discovery Zone and I really don’t think Peace Corps wants to see Dirk McGirk disappointed.” Later adding, mostly to himself, “cuz when I get disappointed I get angry and when I get angry, I get sullen and withdrawn, and that’s not good for cultural integration.”

No comments: