Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Young Woman Not Admitting Defeat

Maria Corazon, 15, of Bato Camarines Norte, Philippines, refuses to admit that she is now “it.” Having started a game of hide and seek with The Sun four years ago she has taken every precaution since to avoid it.

“When I was eleven I realized I wanted to be beautiful like Julia Roberts, not dark like the woman who owns the tindahan on my street. Since then I have been able to sneakily circumvent The Sun by moving in others’ shadows, other times distracting it by pretending to throw a tennis ball. Different stuff.”

Maria slipped up last Tuesday at 2pm when she went outside to see her crush Willy Santiago walk down the street in his casual manner, which implies, look at me, don’t look at me, whatever, I’m just doing my thing.

Maria, however, refuses to admit to any B12 in her system, “look at me, I’m as white an angel in a blizzard. And I’m gonna stay that way even if it means only seeing Willy’s nonchalant strut when I happen to be sitting near the window. Yeah, I’ll just stay by the window. I’ll just have to buy that anti-reflection stuff they have in Phil-Cabs. This interview has really helped me sort some stuff out. Thanks.”

Maria might be “it,” but you’ve got to hand it to her, she sure knows how to evade direct questions.

No comments: